
Well, it's been a long, gray and very dismal winter, but as look out my classroom window I see GREEN!! Which is only appropriate as today is Earth Day. What are you doing to preserve the Earth? As of late, I've been reading a lot of articles about how to be "green" and it's not as hard as we'd like to make it. I always used the excuse that we just don't have "green" things in central IL, but we do! We have recycling centers, we have hazardous waste pick up days by the EPA, our stores sell "green" cleaning products, and now Walmart even has t-shirst made from recycled Coke bottles. Point being there are no more excuses why the boys and I can't go "green" and preserve this planet for Noah and Jackson, and their future children.
So, my first step: not to use the plastic grocery bags any more. Thanks to a trip to Trader Joe's in St. Louis (no I didn't drive all the way down there just to go to TJ's) I was able to pickup 5 canvas grocery bags and 2 insulated grocery bags for less than $20. Using these makes me feel better about my eco-footprint, and I'm seeing how easy, and economical it is to use these grocery bags. My second step: recycling at home. This one is going to be a bit harder to introduce and get used to (mostly getting Mike on board), but I'm sure before too long we'll get the hang and habit of recycling at home. Not to mention, Noah will learn from a very early age to recycle!
OK, so enough about me trying to save the Earth! Today is also a big day for the Pennington's as we will be taking Noah for screening from Pre-K this afternoon. They'll check his vision, hearing, speech, coordination, etc. We've told him that we're going to do this and he thinks it means he's starting school today!! He was very disappointed to learn he still had to go to the babysitter's. Of course we also told him that if was at the babysitter's he could play outside, which is his absolute favorite thing to do, especially if there's dirt!!
I hope this finds all of you doing well and enjoying the GREEN outside you window! Happy Spring :-)
So, my first step: not to use the plastic grocery bags any more. Thanks to a trip to Trader Joe's in St. Louis (no I didn't drive all the way down there just to go to TJ's) I was able to pickup 5 canvas grocery bags and 2 insulated grocery bags for less than $20. Using these makes me feel better about my eco-footprint, and I'm seeing how easy, and economical it is to use these grocery bags. My second step: recycling at home. This one is going to be a bit harder to introduce and get used to (mostly getting Mike on board), but I'm sure before too long we'll get the hang and habit of recycling at home. Not to mention, Noah will learn from a very early age to recycle!
OK, so enough about me trying to save the Earth! Today is also a big day for the Pennington's as we will be taking Noah for screening from Pre-K this afternoon. They'll check his vision, hearing, speech, coordination, etc. We've told him that we're going to do this and he thinks it means he's starting school today!! He was very disappointed to learn he still had to go to the babysitter's. Of course we also told him that if was at the babysitter's he could play outside, which is his absolute favorite thing to do, especially if there's dirt!!
I hope this finds all of you doing well and enjoying the GREEN outside you window! Happy Spring :-)


1 comment:
Welcome to the blogging world! I love to see pictures . . . I can't believe how much Noah has grown since we left. Congrats to Mike on the promotion too! That is great! We'll continue to pop in on you on your blog!
Post a Comment